Personal preparedness is essential when severe weather strikes, but, surprisingly, many residents of hurricane-prone areas don’t take the necessary steps to be ready for a weather event.
Forecasters at Colorado State University’s Atmospheric Science Department released its first extended range forecast for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. According to the forecast, the 2022 Atlantic basin hurricane season will have above-average probability for major hurricanes making landfall along the continental United States coastline and in the Caribbean.
Emergency planning is critical to safety and comfort. Having a portable electrical generator on hand when it will be needed most is a big part of such a plan.
When choosing a portable generator, look for these features:
- Enough power: Choose a generator with enough wattage output to power essential appliances (air conditioner, refrigerator/freezer, lights, pumps, televisions, radios, laptops, cell phone chargers, etc.) Look for continuous running watts rather than surge wattage ratings when determining the correct generator to buy.
- Clear starting instructions: Starting a portable generator only takes a few simple steps. But, this can be confusing when the power is out. Look for a model that includes clear instructions posted on the generator.
- Sufficient electrical outlets: A portable generator should have enough receptacles for all the devices desired to power. Models that include a multi-outlet cord offer greater convenience.
- Long enough run time on a full tank of gas: Look for a generator that will run through the night without refilling.
- Portability: Choosing a generator equipped with wheels and handles makes it a lot easier on the user.
To view portable generator options, visit a-ipower.com.